Monday 14 January 2013

Prolotherapy

Hi again!

So here we go, my first post post on Prolotherapy, which is the main reason I wanted to start this blog. I wanted to give an honest and informative account of what the treatment is like, how it affects me and most importantly if it benefits me and my life! Hopefully others will find this interesting and helpful.

After deciding not to go ahead with the operation I was browsing on some of the Hypermobility websites and I came across something on somebody's blog called Prolotherapy. I hadn't heard of it before and was curious to find out what it was. I spent several months researching it, became a little OCD to be honest! I read a ton of articles, personal experiences and talked it all over with my family, friends, doctors and physiotherapist. Thanks to the members on the Hypermobility Forums for some of the personal stories which I found very helpful to read. Prolotherapy works by stimulating the body to make new fibres, which are laid down within the substance of the ligaments, thickening and strengthening them. To me this seemed logical and exactly what I needed to stabilise my loose, clunky joints!

Although (with a great deal of hard work) I have made some progress over the last 3-4 years with endurance and fitness levels, I feel like I've hit a wall with my progress now where basically if I try any harder and do more I just injure myself e.g trapping nerves, muscle spasms, tendonitis etc. So I really want and need something else to help now and to improve my quality of life.

Prolotherapy:
 
Prolotherapy is an injection therapy, where the sclerosant solution is injected directly into the ligaments and intentionally causes controlled irritation. This inflammatory response increases the blood supply to the weakened area, stimulating the tissue to heal and regrow new connective tissue thereby stabilising and strengthening the joints, ligaments and tendons. 

The great thing is that it are only minimal side effects similar to any other injection such as bruising, soreness and some bleeding as oppose to the operation which has a massively long recovery period and could potentially have made my pain a lot worse or even early onset osteoarthritis. Prolotherapy is a natural, safe, minimally invasive way to take care of chronic pain when surgery is not an option, cortisone shots are ineffective, or physical therapies are just not enough to help.

It is currently not available on the NHS (apparently there might be one Doc at the Birmingham hospital doing it on the NHS) only Privately but I was directed to the list of Private Practitioners. The way I understand it is that although some Doctors have tried, there isn't the funding available for clinical trials on Prolotherapy here in the UK. My Consultant Rheumatologist referred me to our most local practitioner at Oving Clinic who he also knows well.
The appointment came through really quickly (but then I'm not used to the private system). The 45 min consultation was £145, I wanted to make the most of the time so I did my own case history for him (yes, I am a little obsessive) with everything I thought was relevent over the 10 years, and one of those physio diagrams shading in the areas where I have pain. I think he was pleased I did all that though. After talking to and examining me he said he thought trying some Prolotherapy on my most painful area, my left shoulder, would be a good idea to start with.

My Pain Diagram

Shoulder and Back Pain
 
I have a block of 3 treatments booked in every fortnight, starting on Tuesday 15th Jan, to start with which is costing £337 each (ouch!), and I will have a follow up appointment and then wil probably need another block of 3. It is expensive I guess but you're paying for his time, skill and also it's done under x-ray guidence so you're paying for the equipment too. Like my Mum says, "if it helps to make a difference to your pain and give you a better quality of life then it is priceless!"
I've been told not to take any anti-inflammatory meds during and directly after the injection treatment as of course it would defeat the object of the treatment - to CAUSE an inflammatory response. So I've stocked up on Paracetamol!

I am just opting to have a Local Anaesthetic before I the injections, but I could also have Entonox Analgesia (gas and air) or light Sedation as well. I hope that's the best way to go. I figure if its really painful or I find it really traumatising the first time then I can try one of the others next time. I have read varying accounts on what the treatment is actually like some say it is just unpleasent others say it's extremely painful! I guess it all depends on where you're having it done, who's doing it and how much pain you have there in the first place. I will let you know!

I've been so tunnel-visioned about finding someone to try this treatment on me that now its actually a reality I'm feeling really scared about going through it! So yeah, relieved and yet utterly terrified in equal measure!!


Obviously it'll be different for everyone, if it does (fingers crossed!) work for me that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for somebody else but if like me you have spent years trying every kind of treatment under the sun it is certainly worth checking out. Just do your research!

So I will post again after my first treatment and let you know how I get on. Wish me luck!!

~Katie

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to make this blog, I will be following it with interest. May I ask if you are seeing Dr T or Dr J? I have been in touch with Dr J and am condering giving it a go myself but it's money at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm seeing Dr T and he's been really good so far. I haven't met Dr J before, where exactly are you thinking of having it done? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I looked up the Oving Clinic and noticed that they list Dr T & Dr J under the prolotherapy section. I had contacted Dr J through his website and was thinking of seeing him at the Sussex Medical Chambers. I am considering it for my cervical spine, having lots of problems with it and am hypermobile also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay that sounds good. Well let me know if you do go ahead with Prolotherapy and how you get on or if you do have any questions about it.

      ~Katie

      Delete
    2. Hi Katie, just wondering how you are now after the prolotherapy treatment. I am doing research as I have severe back problems which have forced me to retire at the age of 52 as I am unable to work.

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie

    I stumbled across your blog when looking for a description for Prolotherapy so I could share the info with my daughter who is a vet and was interested to find out how it worked.

    I am also having the treatment myself and had my first injection last week as I have Osteoarthritis in my spine. I was sat waiting with others who had had the therapy before and the changes in their life were dramatic. Some were pain free for years! This made the actual pain of the therapy easier to bear when I went in for my turn.

    We have one doctor in Hereford who is doing the treatment on the NHS but he has told me I was lucky to get in as the local authority has stopped them taking on new patients and has withdrawn the funding. He has several hundred patients and has a success rate of over 75%. It is such a shame that a natural treatment with so little in the way of side affects and only costing £35 for the injection should be withdrawn when they are happy to support pumping bodies with steroids costing over £100.

    I will be following your blog with interest and wish you the very best of luck, I am 54 so slowing down a bit but you are so young and could benefit greatly if this treatment works for you.

    My very best wishes
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina,

      Thank you so much for your message! I have to say it really did give me a boost when I was having a bit of a low mid-way through my treatments! Apologies for the late reply it wasn't intentional, I've felt so poorly during all my treatments that I've been quite limited to what I've been up to doing.

      I had my 10th Prolotherapy treatment with my current doctor before he retires last Thursday. Sad he's retiring as he has been so good to me but he has recommended a new Doctor to me that I will start seeing in a couple of months I think. I'm having a little break now just to give everything time to heal up, do it's thing (also save up some money again!), and see where is working and then take it from there.

      How are you getting on with your treatments? I thought the only place that did Prolo on the NHS was a hospital in Birmingham and I was under the impression you were limited to 3 treatments. It's good to know there is more out there even if it is difficult to find. So what's the treatment like on the NHS do you get a long appointment and what sort of pain relief do you get?

      It's so lovely to hear that you have found my blog helpful and I hope you're getting on well!

      Katie x

      Delete
  5. Hello

    I am considering prolotherapy for upper cervical neck instability. I am so scared can you advise me please.

    Hope you are well.

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello

    Sorry i forgot to mentiom at the oving with Dr.J.Tanner.

    ReplyDelete